What is Being Vegan?
Being Vegan means that someone will exclude meat, dairy and animal-derived ingredients from their diet. Nowadays, Veganism falls under categories including food, beauty and skincare. There are many non-Vegan ingredients used within the beauty industry. These include collagen, keratin, beeswax, carmine, silk powder and lanolin. Many people trial Veganism during January in line with the annual celebration of Veganuary.
What is Veganuary?
Veganuary is an international campaign that encourages people to try Veganism during the month of January. Founded by husband and wife, Matthew Glove and Jane Land, what first started out as a casual conversation in 2013 soon turned into an annual phenomenon. Matt and Jane wanted to inspire people on the benefits of becoming Vegan. Now, the campaign exists to promote and support Vegan lifestyles whilst breaking down misconceptions.
As people have become more sustainability aware, the beauty industry has seen a major shift in Veganism. Whether it’s sourcing Vegan ingredients or claiming to be cruelty-free, beauty experts have taken the new trend in their stride. With 3.5 million Vegans in the UK alone, it’s no question being Vegan has its benefits.
The Benefits of Vegan beauty
There are many reasons why Vegan beauty is better for your makeup and skincare.
- Some animal products can be harsh on the skin and cause congestion by clogging up pores. This means Vegan beauty can be a soothing alternative for different skin types.
- Plant-derived ingredients contain lots of natural vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Similar to how it’s better to eat food closer to it’s natural state, beauty works in the same way. Our skin absorbs 60% of the products we apply. Therefore if products are enriched with natural ingredients, skin is much more likely to feel healthier.
- Vegan products support animal welfare and eco-awareness. Cruelty-free cosmetics are beauty products that have not been tested on animals at any stage of the product development process. Here at Eyeko, we are proud to promote the fact all of our cosmetics are made cruelty-free and some Vegan Society registered. The Vegan Society is an organisation which promotes Veganism to benefit animals, people and the environment. Our Vegan Society registered products are Galactic Lid Gloss and Define It Brow Pencil.
The Disadvantages of Vegan beauty
- Although Vegan beauty comes with many advantages, it does have some disadvantages with one being price. From sourcing all-natural eco-friendly ingredients, it’s often the case products can be more expensive. Here at Eyeko as Veganism becomes more popular, we hope the cost of producing Vegan products will go down and make it much more accessible for customers to buy on a regular basis.
- For new beginners, finding alternatives to long-lasting favourites can also be a struggle. This makes loyal customers hesitate to switch from non-Vegan to Vegan beauty, needing to research and trial new cosmetics when they’ve already found ‘the one’.
Here at Eyeko, our Vegan products include: